The Trust's Britannias
G-ALRX was the second Britannia prototype, infamous for its forced-landing on the Severn mud flats during a test flight in February 1954, only six weeks after its first flight. The forward fuselage section was donated by the Ministry of Defence at Boscombe Down to the BAPT, and placed on long term loan to the Bristol Aero Collection at Kemble. 'RX is now at Filton, awaiting the creation of a museum on the former airfield. Ownership of the fuselage was transferred to the Bristol Aero Collection Trust on 23rd December 2013, exactly 60 years after its first flight at Filton. The BAPT will still be involved in its preservation and restoration.
XM496 was donated by Transair, flying from Southern Africa to Kemble in October 1997, making the last ever flight of a Britannia airliner. She is maintained in live condition, although she will not fly again. In 2005, maintenance and support for XM496 was transferred to a new group, the Bristol Britannia XM496 Preservation Society.